Since March 2020 Covid-19 has negatively affected the landscape for charities in many ways:
- Some are unable to deliver services they are contracted to deliver due to the many restrictions.
- Some are seeing, or expect to see, greater demand for their services.
- Some have lost income from cancelling fundraising events
- Often they have few cash reserves to tide them over a tough financial period.
- Some will see a reduction in fundraising due to donors also feeling the pinch.
In response, Impact100 WA have modified our approach – for 2020 only.
While our aim remains to provide high-impact grants that will make a significant and measurable difference to an under-served cause or population, our intention in 2020 is to help ensure that the smaller not-for-profit organisations in our community are well placed to continue providing widespread benefits into the future.
How we will do this:
- We plan to fund a number of $50,000 grants in order to support more not-for-profits through these turbulent times.
- We are introducing greater flexibility around how the funds can be spent (applications may address immediate response needs or recovery needs, as well as projects).
- We are shortening our timelines to bring the grant date forward to August (see summary below) while still allowing for our strong due diligence.
- Recent past winners are also invited to apply – these are the organisations we know and love and we want them to survive.
- We are restricting applicants to WA-based organisations only.
- Donor involvement (eg. focus area groups, site visits, assessment events) will still happen but online (at least until the lockdown situation eases).
- 29 May – Applications due.
- 8-21 June – Focus Area Committees assess and reduce application numbers to 15-20.
- 22 June-10 July – Site visits completed.
- 22 July – Assessment event for all donors to reduce application numbers to 8-10.
- 12 Aug – Presentations and voting event (now it will actually be a dinner) to choose winners.
- October – If possible, we will hold an actual event to come together and celebrate.